I set loads (and loads) of goals for myself and work towards them relentlessly. The way I see how to achieve things is very literal. I make a plan to get from A to B and go full-steam ahead. I leave no room for diversion.
However life is full of diversions…
I was on my way to work this week- running late (which never (EVER) happens) and I missed out on a car space at my train station. This meant had to park ages away, so I didn’t make my usual train. I was pretty frustrated, as I ran down the road like a crazy person at 6am…I may have used a few choice words to express myself.
But the funny thing was I ended up catching an express into the city and actually arrived earlier than expected! I had to laugh because I thought I knew the best route to get to where I needed to go- shock horror I didn’t! Life took me on a different track (literally) and I ended up arriving quicker than I would’ve originally.
Sooooo…You may think your plan is the best but that’s not always the case. Life might pull you in a new, even better direction.
You never know!
P.S. I celebrated my birthday this week, woohoo. Maybe they’re right (whoever they are)- a little bit older, a little bit wiser. Or is it a little be odder?
This week I turned 32 and I found myself in the middle of Australia. I also found myself with a lot of time to think. Since I hit my 30’s I’ve started to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Both knowing myself and what I want in life.
So I wanted to share what I’ve learnt so far…
- Spending time alone is truly important BUT so is spending time with friends. Because after awhile conversations with yourself can get repetitive
- F*ck following the rules (well maybe follow a few- like don’t murder anyone…)
- I’m not convinced one true love exists. But I do know real love exists. Sometimes you won’t realise what it was until it’s gone. Sometimes it’s fleeting. Sometimes it will last. Either way it’s really real
- Take time to breathe- your life depends on it. Literally
- Don’t worry about what everyone else is thinking about you. They’re too busy worrying about what you’re thinking about them
- Being beautiful is absolutely worthless unless your soul is beautiful
- Courage and laughter are as contagious as head lice. I prefer sharing the first 2 but hey, lice are part of life too
- It’s best to regret what you did than didn’t do. Better yet don’t regret, regret
- Money is just a bunch of fun tokens. It enables you to do cool sh*t with your life. Apart from that it’s not important
- Don’t ever use alcohol wipes as a substitute for toilet paper. Under any circumstance
- Living in the confines of fear is not living. There will always be a reason not to do something. Fear will always be there but NEVER let it hold you back
- Table dancing can be done at any age. However the chance of breaking your hip increases as you get older…
- The Rolling Stones always have and always will be right
- Self-actualization in a noble pursuit, just don’t self-destruct in the process
- Reading beauty mags won’t make you feel beautiful. In fact they generally do the opposite
- Give yourself a f*cking break. Life should be enjoyable. Trying to be perfect is waste of a life
- Believe in the good of people but know there are born arseholes out there
- Your relationship status says nothing about you as a person. It’s not who you are. It’s just who you are with. Being single doesn’t equal less than being with someone
- Everything happens for a reason. We just don’t always like the reason
- Have something to say for yourself. (Unless you’re Donald Trump- you’ve said enough. Sit down son). Push for more than small talk. Get to really know people
- Laugh as much as you can. But don’t use it to cover your sadness. You need to really feel what you’re feeling. There will be ups and downs in life. Remember what Ronan said- ‘life is roller coaster- you just gotta ride it’
- Wear you heart on your sleeve but only around those you trust. Others may squish it
- Travel before it’s too late. Do all the things you want to do ASAP. Take that chance. Live the dream now
- Love your body even if you don’t think it’s perfect. Because there’s no perfect. Everyone has something they don’t like about themselves
- Be kind to yourself. Be kind to others. Be kind to the ants too. Try not to step on them. They’re so little
- Live the life you really want- not the one you think you ‘SHOULD’
- Don’t ever dumb yourself down so someone will like you. Changing yourself for others is a waste of energy. Be you and you will attract the right people
- It’s ok if you don’t live the life everyone else seems to be living. Forge your own path
- Respect yourself and know your boundaries. If people cross those boundaries don’t be afraid to tell them. Stand your ground
- Groove is in the heart + shake what your mamma gave you = just dance
- Take time to reflect on where you’re at in life. If you don’t like what you see. Change. Don’t make excuse as to why you can’t. You CAN!
- Life is messy- you’ve gotta be willing to jump in and get dirty- live, love and learn.
Embrace the chaos of life